Woman posing with octopus on face is rushed to hospital

in Uncategorized

A Washington woman, hoping an octopus on the face would make for a prize-winning photo, instead wound up with something she never expected: a faceful of pain and a trip to the hospital.

Jamie Bisceglia was participating in a fishing derby in the South Sound near the Tacoma Narrows Bridge last Friday when a group of men in the competition snagged an octopus.

Bisceglia, 45, of Fox Island, on Wednesday recalled asking the men for the juvenile Pacific octopus they’d snagged, saying, “I’d like to eat it for dinner.”

She asked a number of men to take a photo of her with the sea creature, intending to enter the snap in the derby’s photography contest: “It’s soft, it’s squishy, it doesn’t feel like it can hurt you — I put it on my face.”

Jamie was sent to the hospital after posing for a photo with an octopus on her face last Friday.

And at first, that wasn’t so bad. “The tentacles were squirming in my ear, my nose, it was just playing with me on my face,” she said.

Jamie Bisceglia told Fox News she asked a group of men to photograph her with the octopus

And then all of a sudden its beak entered my chin and my eyes popped open wide and they could all see that I was getting attacked, and the photos are taken at the moment it was attacking me.

The sensation was vivid and unforgettable. “Oh my gosh,” she said, “when it bites you it feels like it’s barbed and if I pulled it out it was going to take out my flesh.”

Once she eventually pulled the octopus off, she said, the pain was so intense, and the bleeding lasted for a half-hour.

She still didn’t go to the hospital for two days, determined to finish two back-to-back fishing derbies first.

Between derbies, she even went to a friend’s house, cooked the octopus for dinner and “enjoyed a beautiful meal that was delicious.I got a little revenge,” she added.

The next day she competed in the second derby. But when she woke up after, she realized she had to see a doctor immediately.

I could tell I couldn’t swallow properly and I could tell when I opened my eyes it was kind of blurry, the left side of my face, my throat, my glands were swollen and it felt my left side of my face was paralyzed,” Bisceglia said.

Days later, she said, she’s still hurting, and her face and throat remain swollen. She also has a rash on her chin to show for her bid to grab a memorable photo.

Doctors informed her the swelling could last for months. And “I have to take tons of medicine, three different heavy doses of antibiotics and I’m taking milk thistle, which is supposed to help with the venom.”

Now, Bisceglia knows the octopus thing was “a very big mistake that I will never forget.” Her takeaway? “I would tell everyone not to touch something that they don’t know what the consequences are.”

Please SHARE this post with your friends on Facebook.

Scroll Down To Read More Top Stories From News Actual.