A young woman issues an urgent warning to others after her head DOUBLED in size from an allergic reaction to a DIY hair dye.
Nineteen year old Estelle, from Paris, shared images showing her shocking disfigurement as she struggled to breathe due to the reaction of the chemical.
The home hair dye kit contains a chemical called paraphenylenediamine also referred to as PPD which is present in a large number of hair dyes.
Estelle purchased the hair dye at a local supermarket and followed the instructions accordingly.
Rather than carrying out the patch test 48-hours in advance she waited just half an hour before putting the dye all over her head.
The young woman did previously experience a ‘mild reaction’ to a different hair dye, which is why she carried out short patch test this time round.
She knew ‘almost immediately’ that something was wrong as her scalp began to tingle and feel quite irritated.
Estelle scalp began to swell so she sought medical advice from a pharmacist and proceeded to take antihistamines and applied a cream before going to bed.
The next morning she woke only to catch a glimpse of her inflated reflection which now measured 63cm.
Estelle stunned social media in France after posting about her allergic reaction to PPD, where her face looked increasingly swollen and raw.
Estelle speaks about the experience: “I could still see; here I was struggling to breathe. My forehead had doubled in volume. My head was like a light bulb”.
Her tongue started to swell up and she was rushed her to the hospital as she struggled to breathe.
Although she did not follow the instructions her mother hopes Estelle’s case will create awareness around the dangers of hair dye.
Her mum told the newspaper: “It’s true that she didn’t follow the instructions word for word, but the warning has to be clearer.”
PPD, often known as paraphenylenediamine, is also used in high concentrations in the popular black henna tattoos.
This chemical is the prime reason for allergic reactions to hair dye and is required for many shades of permanent colour, especially dark shades.
The chemical is banned in some cosmetics while there is a strict limit of a maximum amount of 2 percent on PPD concentration.
Estelle now wants her dreadful experience to act as a warning to other women who dye their hair.
She comments, “I almost died, I don’t want something similar to happen to other people.”
Thankfully, she has not been left with any lasting damage, however there’s a slim chance she will attempt dying her own hair again.
Please help Estelle spread awareness of the dangers and SHARE this post with your friends on Facebook.
Scroll Down To Read More Stories From News-Actual.