Doctors forced to amputate man’s arm after he had his favorite dinner

in Trending

All over the world millions of people try new dishes that you would never even think of. Many people haven’t tried sushi although it’s been around since the sixties. It has really only gained popularity in the United States over the last 20 years.

However, for one 71-year-old South Korean man, this dish almost cost him his life. Sadly, he developed an infection after his dinner, resulting in complications which eventually required an amputation of his forearm,

Raw meat can often contain harmful bacteria which can result in severe food born illness.

Sushi is made up several ingredients, where the fish part of sushi is often uncooked so you’re eating raw meat. Although tasty, raw fish may be dangerous, possibly life-threatening – if not prepared properly.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to this South Korean man. After an evening of eating sushi, he began forming blisters and bruises on his hand and arm. Just 12 hours after eating the contaminated sushi, his left hand had swollen so much it began to leak – leading to excruciating pain.

The man had a history of Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure, and he was undergoing dialysis for end-stage renal (kidney) disease.

He decided to go to the hospital immediately fearing that something might be wrong. A cavity filled with blood measuring about 1.5 by 2 inches had developed on the palm of his left hand. There was a swollen cavity on the top of his hand and forearm.

Once he informed the doctors he had consumed sushi, they realized instantly there was a possibility the man was suffering from a flesh-eating bacteria infection.

They performed urgent surgery and isolated a bacteria known as ‘Vibrio vulnificus’, which is commonly found in coastal ocean water. The cause of his infection was due to the bacteria.

Doctors drained the blisters and carefully pulled away as much of the infected tissue as possible, however despite their efforts, the man lost his hand. Roughly three weeks after he presented to the ER doctors performed an amputation of his left forearm.

The patient did well after the surgery and was discharged home,” the authors of his case report concluded.

Help us spread awareness of the potential dangers and SHARE this post with your friends on Facebook.

Scroll Down To Read More Stories From News Actual.