In Hawaii, preschoolers were given a dangerous liquid cleaner by mistake instead of apple juice during their snack time, according to a report released by the state’s Department of Health.
The teacher at Kilohana United Methodist Church Preschool in Honolulu was shocked once she realised that her classroom assistant mistook Pine-Sol for apple juice.
Neither the teacher nor the assistant involved in the incident on November 27 incident have been named.
The teacher informed local officials that the assistant prepared morning snack (dry crackers and juice) in the kitchen area for the preschoolers while the teacher brought students to the restroom.
Apparently when the assistant spotted a container with “yellow/brown” liquid on a cleanup cart in the kitchen she assumed it was juice, despite that it was more than likely labeled as Pine-Sol.
Teacher realised quickly that it wasn’t juice when the assistant returned to the classroom with the cups.
“The classroom teacher smelled that it was not apple juice and stopped the students from drinking it,” the report states.
It was confirmed that three girls managed to take sips of the Pine-Sol, despite the teacher’s efforts to stop it. Paramedics were contacted immediately to monitor and treat the girls, luckily, they found no signs of poisoning or illness.
“We can confirm they were given a substance that was considered poisonous for human consumption,” Honolulu Emergency Medical Services spokesman Dustin Malama explains. “When our paramedics evaluated the children, they seemed perfectly fine.”
A local news station KHON2 reported that the classroom assistant doesn’t work at the school any longer, it’s unclear if the ex-employee will face any charges. Many parents were horrified to hear of the event when the school sent an email to inform them what had occurred.
“I think it’s extremely terrifying. It’s very, very scary, but it’s hard for me or any of the people that I’ve spoken to to understand how it happened in the first place,” parent Turina Lovelin told KHON2.
If you agree this situation could have been worse then please SHARE the post with your friends and family on Facebook.
Scroll Down To Read More Posts From News-Actual.